The Hurdling Handicaps Speaking Ministries Board of Advisors is honored and excited to announce the establishment of the Bill and Sue Patton Scholarship Fund. Recipients receive financial assistance for the cost of attending a Joni and Friends Family Retreat. At Joni and Friends Family Retreats, persons with disabilities and their families receive encouragement and care in the comfort of a safe and accessible family camp environment.
Bill and Sue Patton, Larry’s parents, each played major, positive roles in Larry’s life. Their love, prayers, encouragement, support, tenacity and motivation are why Larry has been able to overcome so many obstacles in his life. It was their example that influenced him to become a devoted, Christian family man able to live as an independent and productive member of our society.
The Pattons were advocates for Larry before the word was ever defined. It is because of their example of faith and loving support that the Board of Advisors is naming this Scholarship Fund in their honor.
Sue Patton went to be with the Lord ten years ago. Bill maintains an active role in the ministry and Larry’s family life. The Scholarship Fund will provide money for various activities and resources to benefit individuals who demonstrate a positive Christian attitude in overcoming the obstacles they face.
Scholarship Guidelines and Highlights:
- Grants will range from $50 up to $500 per person or family.
- Grant applications will be available through the Hurdling Handicaps office.
- The grants will go towards supporting a family attending a Joni and Friends Family Retreat.
- The grant recipient(s) must live in the State of Michigan.
- The grant recipient(s) must meet the criteria set by Joni and Friends.
- The grant applicants must agree to allow their name to be used on the HHSM website and the Hurdler Newsletter grant applications must include a family photo.
- A recommendation letter from your pastor must be included with the grant application.
- Grant applicants cannot be accepted from a family member of the Board of Advisors or Staff of HHSM.
- The grant check will be payable and sent directly to Joni and Friends.
Tax deductible gifts can be made to the Bill and Sue Patton Scholarship Fund by making your check payable to Hurdling Handicaps and will be deposited directly into the scholarship fund account.
Download & print the Scholarship Fund Application
Note: PDF file (requires Adobe Reader).